College of Veterinary Medicine

In Memory of Our Beloved...



When I was 10 years old, my parents promised me a dog.  However, it took two months for us to find just the right one, as we wanted to rescue one from the pound.  One day, my parents went to the pound while I was at school.  As they were parking, someone else pulled in next to them, and they saw a scruffy little face pressed against the window.  'Wouldn't it be great if that lady was putting him up for adoption?' my mom thought.  Well, as soon as they got inside, in came the lady with the dog.  They followed him to his cage, and were first on the list for adoption.  I remember the day they brought him home...
I was in the driveway, 'helping' my dad work on our van, when my mom pulled up in our blue 'oldies' car.  She had a big grin on her face, and before I could ask her what she was so happy about, she opened the car door and out jumped Tanner with a big blue bow on!  I think I might have actually squealed.  Well we got him inside and I was instantly in love.  I named him Tanner because of an old children's book I read that had a dog in it by that name.
Of course, nothing would do except that he had to sleep on my bed with me.  Sure, his doggy bed took up a lot of space, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.  Eventually, the doggy bed fell by the wayside, and he just snuggled under the covers.  Sure, it kept me warm, but if I dared move, he'd growl and let me know he was having none of that.  Made it a bit hard to get comfortable some nights.
Oh we had some times.  Tanner absolutely loved going to the beach and would run around so fast there would be sand flying behind him, kicked up by his little paws.  He also had a weakness for cheese.  I don't know how he'd know, but any time I opened up a block of cheese, he'd come running from wherever he was in the house and sit there looking at me, as if to say 'Well?  Where's my piece?'  He also loved to pester my grandmother's dog Sophie, and adorable curly mutt who was getting along in years.  She mostly ignored him.  After Sophie passed away, Tanner was the top dog.
The years passed by, and eventually I moved out of my parents' house into my own apartment.  Because of the hours I worked, I decided to leave Tanner with my parents.  It was one of the hardest decisions I had to make, but I didn't feel it would have been fair to bring him with me when I would hardly be there.  Besides, by that time he was getting old, and it was better to let him stay somewhere familiar.
As happens with us all, his health began to decline, and it finally came to the point where we decided it would be better to end his suffering.  I felt like the ultimate traitor, but the decision was made.  We took him to the Burien Veterinary Hospital, and I think I was crying from the moment we stepped in the door to the moment I left with Tanner's collar in my hands.  I chose to be with him until the end ... and it was hard.  I just didn't want him to be alone in his last moments.
I am more grateful than I can say to the Doctors and Staff at Burien Veterinary Hospital for having Tanner memorialized on this site.  Even though it's been over a year, I still miss him deeply.  He was my 'puppy baby boy'. 

The Adams Family


Pet Loss Hotline,  PO Box 647060 , Washington State University, Pullman WA 99164-7060, 509-335-5704, Contact Us   Safety Links