College of Veterinary Medicine Home Pet Loss Hotline

In Memory of Daisy, 7/27/89 – 12/11/03

When our younger daughter was 12, we gave in to her request for a dog. She wanted a “real” dog, not a toy-sized one. I drove an hour to the other side of town, picked her up and put her in a cardboard box beside me on the front seat. Soon this 8-week-old beagle/springer spaniel mix was on my lap. I was sure she would wet on me, but we made it home dry!

I knew nothing about dogs (even asked a neighbor to confirm we had a female) and my husband never had one either. It was tough for awhile.

Daisy was stubborn, strongwilled, hard to train--an obedience school drop-out. She chewed everything—furniture, plywood, chicken wire, cyclone fence, railroad ties. She chased chipmunks, caught moles, even brought a bird into the living room. She barked a lot. Many days my husband would come home to find me in tears. Once I tried to keep her from going after the UPS man; I fell and shattered my wrist.

Somehow we became best friends! My husband was a workaholic; our 2 daughters were busy with school and activities; I was a stay-at-home mom. Many days we were together 24/7. We walked every morning, weather permitting. When Daisy became calmer, she went everywhere possible with us, local errands and all over the country—Grand Canyon, Mt Rushmore, Chicago, South Carolina, the ocean, Maine, New Hampshire, even Dollywood! She had her beds but of course ended up in ours. She followed me all over the house.

She was 14 in July. She recovered from a bladder infection in August. In early November she got vestibular disease. I slept on the floor beside her for 5 nights, to help her up and down. She seemed to be recuperating from that, even wanting her morning walk. She wasn’t as interested in her dry food but still gobbling her wet food and any “people food” she was allowed.

She had her annual exam on Dec 4. Dec 6 she was out of breath when she followed me upstairs so we went right to the vet. He kept her to treat her for internal bleeding. We visited her as often and long as he permitted; he did everything within reason to save her; she had immune mediated thrombocytopenia. It is a serious condition and her age was against her. She waited for me and our daughter to arrive the last morning, then went to the Bridge on her own.

It was truly the hardest day of my life. She was my child, my companion, my best friend. I will always love and miss her.

Joan, Daisy’s mother always and forever

Posted Jan. 26, 2004   |     Printer Friendly Version